(Città di Castello) Umbria, Italy.
A municipium in the upper Tiber
valley, known chiefly from Pliny's letters (3.19; 4.1; 5.6;
10.8). He had his “Tuscan” villa near here. Tifernum
belonged to the tribus Clustumina. Except for inscriptions, some of which are kept in the Palazzo Comunale, there are only scant remains of buildings and fragments of mosaics. At Trestina, nearby down the Tiber valley,
rich tombs have been found and an important sanctuary
deposit of the early orientalizing period. The material is
in the Museo Archeologico in Florence.
2 (1959) 699 (C. Petrangeli).
L. RICHARDSON, JR.