(Doriskos) Thrace, Greece.
The ancient capital of Rhodope, founded by Trajan on
the site of the earlier town of Doriskos. Darius left a
small garrison at a fort there after his war with the
Scythians. At Doriskos, Xerxes gathered men and supplies in preparation for the invasion of Greece. Even though the surrounding territory returned to Thracian control, the fort was still held by the Persians in the time
of Herodotos, later in the 5th c. It was garrisoned by
both Philip II and Philip V of Macedon. The site has
been identified with an acropolis near Loutros at the edge
of the high ground W of the Evros (ancient Hebros)
delta. In addition to prehistoric remains, marble architectural fragments and inscriptions have been found, the latter including a precinct boundary stone at the foot of the acropolis. Dumont reported extensive remains of
houses and streets on the plain near the sea, but no sign
of monumental public buildings.
, 58f, 105f; A. Dumont-Homolle, Mélanges d'archeologie et d'égraphie
(1892) 224f; BCH
37 (1913) 147.
M. H. MCALLISTER