previous next

UCUBI or Ucubis (Espejo) Cordoba, Spain.

To the SE of Cordoba, W of Castro del Rio. A colony exempt from the jurisdiction of the Conventus Iuridicus Astigitanus, known as Claritas Julia according to Pliny (NH 3.12), and mentioned by Sallust (1.123) in a passage that must refer to the entry of Sertorius into Baetica after having defeated Metelus in Lusitania in 79-78 B.C. The cache of 700 Roman denarii found near Ucubi must have been hidden on that occasion. Bellum Hispaniense contains several references to Ucubi during the struggle between Caesar and the sons of Pompey in 45-44 B.C. Pompey camped between Ategua and Ucubi when besieged by Caesar; the latter finally occupied the site, but not until Pompey had ordered the execution of all those he suspected of being Caesar's partisans (Bell.Hisp. 20.1; 24.2).

Remains apparently from that period include the amphitheater N of the town, partly hewn out of a hillside. Only the walls of the substructure remain, but the diameter of the arena must have been ca. 35 m. There is a Roman bridge nearby. Inscriptions and the remains of houses and fortifications have been found in Ategua vetus and Ucubi, and ceramic fragments in Ategua which date from the 1st c. B.C. and even earlier. The town is reputed to have been the birthplace of Annius Verus, grandfather of Marcus Aurelius, and this accounts for the alleged Cordovan origin of the emperor.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

A. García y Bellido, “Colonias romanas de Hispania,” Anuario de Historia del Derecho Español 29 (1959) 464f.

C. FERNANDEZ-CHICARRO

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: