previous next


Town of the Arevaci on the Cerro de Castro, near Osma. It is mentioned by Pliny (3.27), Flores (3.22.9), and Ptolemy, among others. The walls, protected by rectangular towers, are N, E, and S of the town, which covers two plateaux with axes of ca. 600 m and an area of 28 ha. The town survived into the Visigoth age and was the seat of a bishopric.

The most important monuments are the Mina (section of a sewer), cisterns, baths, and a probable basilica with mosaics. In the Portugui vineyards part of an extensive Celtiberian cemetery has been excavated, with incineration graves of the 3d-2d c. B.C. The finds, in the Soria Celtiberian Museum and the National Archaeological Museum in Madrid, include sculptures, Roman capitals, iron weapons, miscellaneous metal ware, Celtiberian, Campanian, and terra sigillata pottery, coins, the inscription from the Osma bronze (CIL II, 3819), altars, funeral stelai.


P. Bosch, “Hallazgos de las Necrópolis de Osma y Gormaz,” Anuari del Institut d'Estudis Catalans 7 (1921-26) 171ff; B. Taracena, Carta Arqueológica de España. Soria (1941).


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: