Dept. Val d'Oise,
A complex of Gallo-Roman substructures has been under excavation since 1956 in the La
Garenne area, one of which may well belong to a sanctuary used in the 3d c., as shown by the coins and pottery found there. Adjoining the building were a series of rooms with hypocausts.
Aerial photographs have revealed a few km away
traces of buildings scattered over an area of about 40 ha,
at the place known as Las Terres Noires. A number of
Gallic and Roman coins were found on the surface as
well as a bronze statue of a sleeping Cupid, now in the
Louvre. The settlement included at least two fana and
some baths, possibly a basilica and a theater. The pottery dates from the 1st and 2d c.
Some archaeologists believe the site to be Riobe,
which is mentioned in the Peutinger Table
; others have
located that statio at Maison-Rouge, a village near
Châteaubleau, or next to the Mirvaux farm (in the
commune of Saint-Just).
Archives de la direction des Antiquités
hist. de la Région parisienne (1960-70).