Isernia, Molise, Italy.
an altitude of 1200 m between Pietrabbondante and the
valley of the Sangro river, a village where excavations have partially unearthed a temple of the Samnite
type. It is comparable to the nearby temples at Pietrabbondante, Schiavi d'Abruzzo, and Quadri. Only the podium remains, 2.25 m high of finely cut limestone. The elevation of the building has been totally destroyed,
but the ruins of the foundations permit a conjecture of
the plan (a staircase fitted into the podium, a very deep
pronaos, a relatively large cella). Some stone blocks
scattered near the podium give useful information about
the structure. A polygonal wall encloses the podium and
marks off a corridor, as at Pietrabbondante. Within the
temple a large stone block (the top of an altar?) decorated on all four sides by a Doric frieze with comic and tragic masks has been discovered.
The temple probably dates to the 2d c. B.C. The fill
of the podium shows some traces of a prior building,
probably of the 2d c. (fragments of cocciopesto and
of First Style wall paintings). Nearby remains of other
buildings have been uncovered. The excavations have
not yet been published.