or Pathyris (El-Gabalein) Egypt.
ca. 16 km S of Arment. One of several sites
where Hathor, whom the Greeks identified with Aphrodite, was worshiped. This site was noted by Strabo
). The remains of a temple dedicated to Hathor
were rebuilt by Ptolemy Euergetes II. A necropolis from
the Ptolemaic period has yielded Greek papyri and
A. Weigall, A Guide to the Antiquities
of Upper Egypt
(1913) 297-99; Porter & Moss, Top.
Bibl., V. Upper Egypt: Sites
(1937) 161-64; E. Brunner-Traut & V. Hell, Aegypten