(Chester-le-Street) Durham, England.
On the Roman road from Dere Street, N of
Vinovia, to Arbeia, and 12.8 km S of Newcastle (NZ
275513). Site of a Roman fort of ca. 2.5 ha. The name
probably derives from that of the stream, the Cong
burn, on which it lies. The 2d c. fort, probably Hadrianic, was rebuilt for a cavalry garrison in the early 3d c.
1049, A.D. 216). In the 4th c. a new unit was established here, a numerus vigilum. Occupation continued
to the end of the Roman period. The latest defenses were
of stone. Of internal buildings, only the commander's
house has been located. Nothing of the fort or of the
village that grew up around it is at present visible.
E. Birley, ArchJ
111 (1944) 196; J. P.
Gillam & J. Tait, Arch. Ael
. 46 (1968) 75-96; B. Dobson, Trans. Archit. and Archaeol. Soc. of Durham and
NS 2 (1970) 37-38; J. S. Rainbird,
. 49 (1971) 101-8.
J. C. MANN