previous next


Site in Lycia or Caria, almost certainly at Inlice Asarl, 19 km N of Fethiye and 6 km E of Göcek. Strabo (651) calls it the beginning of the Rhodian Peraea, and the Stadiasmus places it 50 stades from Telmessos; Livy (37.22), relating its liberation from siege by Antiochos III in 190 B.C., calls it a fortress of the Peraea. It is listed also by Pliny, Ptolemy, and Stephanos Byzantios. It stood on the border of Lycia and Caria, and is attributed now to one, now to the other. A dedication in Doric by a Rhodian official, stated to have come from Inlice, shows that this region must have been incorporated Rhodian territory in the 2d c. B.C. There is naturally no coinage, nor does the ethnic or demotic occur in any inscription.

On the main acropolis hill is a ring wall of good ashlar, and inside this a small fort and a circular cistern, also house foundations and rock-cuttings. On a ridge lower down to the E is a wall of large irregular blocks. There are several Lycian rock-tombs, a few sarcophagi, and many pigeon-hole tombs cut in the rock face, mostly inaccessible. Beside the main Fethiye road below the site is a fine Doric rock-cut temple tomb.


C. Fellows, Lycia (1840) 101-4 (wrongly identified with Kalynda); Hoskyn, Journal of the Royal Geographical Society 12 (1842) 146; W. Arkwright, JHS 15 (1895) 94f; TAM II.1, p. 53; P. Roos, Opuscula Atheniensia 9 (1969) 91-92.


hide References (1 total)
  • Cross-references from this page (1):
    • Livy, The History of Rome, Book 37, 22
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: