(Corycian) CAVE Phokis, Greece.
This grotto on Mt. Parnassos (altitude 1360 m), 2 1/2
hours' walk from Delphi, owed its name to its “knapsack”
shape (korykos). Described by Pausanias (10.32.2
), it was
sacred to Pan and the nymphs (dedication of a peripolarkos of Ambrysos engraved on the rock to the right of
the entrance) and no doubt also to Dionysos (mention
of the Thyads, the Delphic bacchantes, in a second,
barely legible, rock inscription), whose biennial festival
(Trieteris) was celebrated by torchlight by the Thyads
of Delphi and Athens on the plateau close by. Excavations by the French School of Athens (1970) have shown
that the grotto, which had two chambers (the first some
70 m long), was consecrated to the cult from the Neolithic Age. Another Korykian Cave was in Cilicia, near
the town of Korykos.
J. G. Frazer, Paus. Des. Gr
. (1913) V
399-400; L. Rabert, Etudes Anatoliennes
(1937) 108ff; M.
Launay, Recherches sur les armées hellénistiques
1010; J. Fontenrose, Python: a Study of Delphic Myth
and Its Origins
. The finds of the recent
excavations will be published in BCH