previous next

WHITEMOSS Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Roman auxiliary fort 1.6 km W of Bishopton, built ca. A.D. 140 to protect the W flank of the Antonine Wall. No surface remains survive, but excavation has shown that it faced N, and that the turf rampart and ditches enclosed an area of almost 2 ha. Evidence of three structural periods is reported. The finds are in the Hunterian Museum, Glasgow.


Proc. Soc. Ant. Scotland 83 (1949) 28-32; annual summaries of excavations, JRS 40-45 (1950-55).


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: