Bowdoin 1913.25.1-3THREE FRAGMENTS OF A "TYRRHENIAN" AMPHORA
Lent by the Bowdoin College Museum of Art; gift of E. P. Warren (1913.25.1 - 3)
1. Height: 4 3/4 in. (12 cm.); Width: 8 1/4 in. (21 cm.) .2 Height: 5 1/2 in. (14 cm.); Width: 7 1/4 in. (18.5 cm.) .3 Height: 5 1/8 in. (13 cm.); Width: 4 3/4 in. (12 cm.)
All three fragments broken and repaired; missing pieces restored and painted on .2 and .3; evidence of misfiring on .1. From Cervetri.
Part of the shoulder on both sides and part of the belly on one side preserved.
Shoulder: on both sides, a fight. Fragment .1: a group of three warriors and a horseman. Two warriors, attacking a third between them, are nude save for greaves (shin guards), helmets, baldric, and scabbard. The warrior on the left holds his shield with his right arm and his javelin with his left, a reversal of the usual hoplite position. The decorated armband (porpax) and leather handle (antilabe) of his shield are thus evident. The warrior on the right holds his shield, properly, on his left arm and attacks with javelin in his right hand. He wears a Chalcidian helmet; the other two helmets are Corinthian. The warrior in the center, dressed in a short tunic (chitoniskos) with baldric and scabbard visible, holds out an empty right hand, and his shield is on the ground. On the far right a horseman approaches. Fragment .2: three warriors. A warrior wearing corslet and greaves, carrying a shield (device: rosette), attacks a warrior of whom only one leg is preserved. In the center a warrior dressed in greaves and Corinthian helmet, sword swinging behind him, and javelin in hand, grasps the crest of a warrior who tries to run away. Since he holds his shield with his right arm, the inside is again visible. Meaningless inscriptions. Fragment .3: horsemen. This fragment preserves a piece of the narrower register below the shoulder scene; the knee of a fallen warrior in the upper frieze is visible. The subsidiary band is here decorated with galloping horsemen and a meaningless inscription. Above and below the shoulder scene are double borders of ivy leaves, alternately red and black. Red: pieces of the armor, e. g. helmet, shield, corslet; parts of the horse's anatomy, e.g. breast, mane.
Attributed to the "Tyrrhenian" Group [Beazley] ca. 575 - 550 B. C. "Tyrrhenian" vases have been found almost exclusively in Etruria, and although they were at first mistakenly associated with Corinth, their Attic character has been clearly demonstrated by Thiersch (Thiersch 1899). These vases were made in Attica for the Etruscan market. Their characteristics have been redefined by D. von Bothmer (AJA 48  161 ff). The production of "Tyrrhenian" vases is limited to the second quarter of the sixth century. The shape is generally an ovoid neck-amphora with echinus foot. The decorative formula consists of a narrative shoulder frieze with subsidiary bands of animals or secondary narrative friezes below; at the bottom are rays. D. von Bothmer has observed (orally) that this vase is unusual in its use of ivy borders above and below the shoulder scenes, as well as the subsidiary narrative frieze on the belly (cf Berlin F 1712; ABV, 96, no. 12). The style is lively though frequently rough and careless, and the inscriptions do not usually make sense as in this case.