Bowdoin 1913.18FRAGMENT FROM THE RIM OF A KYLIX
Lent by the Bowdoin College Museum of Art; gift of E. P. Warren (1913.18)
Height: 1 1/8 in. (2.8 cm.); Width: 2 1/8 in. (5.3 cm.)
The head of a bearded man and three fingers of his right hand are preserved. To the left is the rim of a warrior's shield. To the right is the tendril from a handle palmette and the top of the man's stick. Red: fillet of the man.
Attributed to Douris [Beazley] ca. 480 - 470 B. C. This fragment joins on in Florence (Florence 7 B25; ARV2, 439, no. 152), possibly two others also in Florence, and three in the Villa Giulia (ARV2, 439, nos. 153-157; Beazley 1933a, 14, pl. 7, nos. 25, 31-34, 38). The scene depicts warriors and men. The careful treatment of hair, eyes, beard as well as the use of palmettes at the handle suggest that this fragment belongs in Douris' late period.