previous next


a marble arch erected by the senate after the victory of Stilicho at Pollentia in 405 A.D. in honour of the three emperors and to commemorate their victories over the Goths (CIL vi. 1196; HJ 598). It stood at the west end of the PONS NERONIANUS (q.v.) and probably spanned its approach. In the Mirabilia (ch. 5) it is called arcus aureus Alexandri, and erroneously located near the church of S. Celso instead of S. Urso (HCh 501). It was standing in the fifteenth century, but had been stripped of its marble facing.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
405 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: