previous next

CAMPUS MARTIALIS

an open area on the Caelian hill, where the festival of the Equirria was celebrated when the campus Martius was under water (Ov. Fast. iii. 519-523; Fest. 131). It was probably just outside the Servian wall, and perhaps identical with the campus Caelemontanus. (For an unsuccessful attempt to identify it with the campus minor of Catullus (lv. 3) and to locate it outside the porta Capena, see BC 1906, 209-223). Its name may have been preserved by the mediaeval church of S. Gregorio in Martio (HJ 225 ; HCh 258, 259).

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: