previous next


on the Caelian hill, the barracks of the peregrini, soldiers detached for special service in Rome from the provincial armies. They consisted principally of the frumentarii, who were originally employed on supply service, but also used as military couriers (their institution dates perhaps from Augustus), and in the second and third centuries as a sort of special police (Not. Reg. 11; Amm. Marc. xvi. 12. 66). Certain inscriptions relating to these barracks (CIL vi. 230, 231 (=30721), 354) had long ago been found near S. Maria in Navicella, and they were located by Hulsen (DAP 2. ix. (1907) 411) and by Lanciani (LR 339; LF 36) further to the north; but the ruins of a part of the castra and several inscriptions connected with them were found in 1905 under the Convent of the Little Company of Mary, just south-east of S. Stefano Rotondo (CR 1905, 328-329; BC 1904, 351; 1905, 108; cf. NS. 1907, 183; 1909, 37). For a full account, see Baillie Reynolds in JRS 1923, 153-187. It now becomes improbable that the inscription (CIL vi. 29843) ANTONINIANA, (q.v.) can be restored as CASTRA ANTONINIANA, and referred to this building (cf. HJ 234-235).

Within the castra was a shrine (templum) of Juppiter Redux erected in honour of Severus and Mammaea by a centurio frumentarius (CIL vi. 428).

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: