previous next


a shrine on the right bank of the Tiber, near the racecourse of Caligula (Gaianum), known from several inscriptions (CIL vi. 497-504) on fragmentary marble altars, dating from 305 to 390 A.D., all but one of which were found under the favade of S. Peter's in 1609 (Severano, Sette Chiese, 95; cf. also NS 1922, 81; DAP 2. xv. 271-278; JHS 1923, 194).1 This shrine is probably the Frigianum (Phrygianum) of the Not. (Reg. XIV). If an inscription on an altar at Lyon of the time of Hadrian (CIL xiii. 1751: L. Aemilius Carpus iiiiiiivir Aug. item dendrophorus vires excepit et a Vaticano transtulit) refers to this shrine, it would indicate that this was an important cult centre (RhM 1891, 132; HJ 659; Rosch. ii. 2917).

1 See also CIL vi. 30779; M61. 1923, 3; RL 1925, 3-9; 858-865. For another altar, with similar reliefs, but without inscription, which until recently stood in the church of SS. Michele e Magno, and five pilasters, with fine decorations in relief, which may also belong to it, see Cascioli, Guida al nuovo museo di San Pietro, 5, 39; and, for the pilasters, SScR 305, figs. 183, 184.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: