previous next


according to Tacitus (Ann. iv. 65) the earliest name of the MONS CAELIUS (q.v.), derived from the oak trees with which the hill was covered. Whether this represents a true tradition (cf. Querquetulani, Plin. NH iii. 69), or was simply an invention of the antiquarians to explain PORTA QUERQUETULANA, LARES QUERQUETULANI, etc., is still a matter of dispute (HJ 221; Pinza, Mon. L.xv. 1905,789-791). For a coin representing the Querquetulanae virae, see PORTA QUERQUETULANA.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: