EURIPUS IN CIRCO MAXIMO
a water channel, three metres wide, that
Caesar built around the arena of the circus Maximus, just inside the
lowest tier of seats, to protect the spectators from the wild beasts. It was
filled in by Nero to provide more space for seats. The name was taken
from the channel between Euboea and the mainland at Chalcis (Suet.
Caes. 39; Plin. NH viii. 21
; RE vi. 1284
; cf. p. 115).