HERCULES, TEMPLUM (?)
on the site afterwards occupied by the Teatro
Apollo near Ponte S. Angelo; Here remains of a small round temple (?)
with two capitals in the form of a lion's skin were found (BC 1892, 175
PT 155; HF 1282, 1283-a third capital is in the Vatican, Gall.
Candelabri 100) and a beautiful altar of the Augustan period, decorated
with bucrania and plane leaves (BC 1891, 45-46
; NS 1892, 110-111
Mitt. 1892, 322-325
; HJ 600-601; HF 1465; PT 252; SSculpt 69;
SScR 50, 51; for the use of plane leaves in connection with Hercules,
see Mitt. 1889, 89
sqq; HF 405; JRS 1922, 242
). An architrave with
LIB . . . scratched upon it was also found, and led to the erroneous
supposition that the temple was dedicated to Bacchus.