previous next


the tomb of the Sempronii, of the end of the republic, situated just outside the porta Sanqualis, at the upper end of the present Via Dataria. It was excavated in 1863 (Bull. d. Inst. 1864, 6), but the inscription had been known in the seventeenth century (CIL vi. 26152). The travertine facade on the clivus leading up to the gate had a plain arched entrance into the sepulchral chamber, which was cut in the tufa rock. The threshold was 2 metres above the pavement of the road, and over the doorway was a decorated frieze and cornice (BC 1876, 126-127, pi. xii.; HJ 403).

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: