A.abhitas 'on both sides', Lat. ambi-):—radic. sense, on both sides; chiefly Poet. and Ion. Prose, replaced by περί in later Gk.
A. C. GEN. (Poet., Hdt., X.):
I. causal, about, for the sake of, ἀ. πίδακος μάχεσθαι fight for the possession of a spring, Il.16.285; “ἀ. γυναικός” Pi.P.9.105, A.Ag.62; “ἀ. λέκτρων” E.Andr.123: like πρός, in entreaties, πρὸς Ζηνός . . Φοίβου τ᾽ ἀ. for Phoebus' sake, A.R.2.216.
2. about, concerning, once in Hom., ἀμφ᾽ Ἄρεος φιλότητος ἀείδειν sing of love, Od.8.267; “ἀμφὶ τιμῆς” h.Merc.172 (cf. c. 4); once in Hdt., ἀμφὶ κρίσιος (as v.l. for κρίσι）“ μνηστήρων τοσαῦτα ἐγένετο” 6.131; more freq. in poets, “ἀ. δαιμόνων” Pi.O.1.35, cf. A.Th.1017, E.Supp.642, etc.; prob. l. in S.Ph.554.
II. of Place, about, around, post-Hom., “ἀ. ταύτης τῆς πόλιος” Hdt.8.104; “τὸν ἀ. Λίμνας τρόχον” E.Hipp.1133.
B. C. DAT. (Poet., Ion. and later Prose):
I. of Place, on both sides of, “ἀμφ᾽ ὀχέεσσι” Il.5.723; ἀ. κεφαλῇ, ὤμοισιν, στήθεσσι, ποσσί, about the head, etc., ib.24.163, 3.328, Od.16.174, Il.13.36; “ἄ. δέρᾳ” Sapph.Supp.23.16; ἀμφί οἱ around him, Il.12.396; μοι ἀμφ᾽ αὐτῷ around me, 9.470; like wise “ἀμφὶ περὶ στήθεσσι” Od.11.609:—all round, κρέα ἀμφ᾽ ὀβελοῖσι μεμύκει round, i.e. upon, spits, ib.12.395; “πεπαρμένη ἀμφ᾽ ὀνύχεσσι” Hes.Op.250.
2. more generally, at, by, ἀ. πύλῃσι μάχεσθαι at the gates, Il.12.175; ἀμφὶ [κόρυθι] διατρυφέν smashed on the helmet, 3.362; ἀ. πυρί on the fire, 18.344; ἀμφ᾽ ἐμοί clinging to me, Od.11.423; esp. of falling over one, Il.4.493; of a guardian, over, “φύλακα ἀ. σοι λείψω” S.Aj.562; “ἀ. γούνασι πίπτειν” E.Alc.947.
III. generally, of connexion or association, without distinct notion of place, ἀ. νεκροῖσιν as concerning the dead, Il.7.408; freq. in Pi., ὅσσα δ᾽ ἀμφ᾽ ἀέθλοις as far as concerns games, N.2.17; ἐπ᾽ ἔργοισιν ἀ. τε βουλαῖς in deeds and counsels, Id.P.5.119; in virtue of, “ἀμφὶ σοφίᾳ” 1.12; “ἐμᾷ ἀ. μαχανᾷ” 8.34; “ἀμφ᾽ ἀρετᾷ” 1.80, cf. O.8.42; “σέο ἀμφὶ τρόπῳ” N.1.29; ἀ. ἰατορίᾳ in respect of healing, B.1.39.
IV. causal, about, for the sake of, “ἀμφ᾽ Ἑλένῃ μάχεσθαι” Il.3.70; ἀ. γυναικὶ ἄλγεα πάσχειν ib.157, cf. Luc.D Deor.20.14; “ἀ. τοῖσδε καλχαίνων τέκνοις” E.Heracl.40, cf. Rh.457 (lyr.); “ἀ. δώλῳ μωλίειν” Leg.Gort.1.17; concerning, Od.1.48; “εἰπὼν ἀμφ᾽ Ὀδυσῆϊ” 14.364; “ἀρνεύμενον ἀ. βόεσσι” h.Merc.390; “ἀ. Τειρεσίαο βουλαῖς” Pi.I.7(6).8; “ἕξετ᾽ ἀμφ᾽ ἐμοὶ τροφήν” S.OC1614, cf. El.1144; “ἔρις ἀ. μουσικῇ” Hdt. 6.129; “ἀ. σοι” A.Ag.890; ἀ. τῷ θανάτῳ αὐτῆς λόγος λέγεται about her death it is reported, Hdt.3.32, cf. S.Aj.303; “ἀ. βοῶν ἀγέλαις δόμον αὔξειν” B.9.44.
2. of impulses, ἀ. τάρβει, ἀ. φόβῳ for very fear, A.Ch.547, E.Or.825; “ἀ. θυμῷ” S.Fr.565; “ἀμφ᾽ ὀδύνῃ” A.R.2.96.
C. C. ACC., most freq. in Prose (twice only in Th.):
I. of Place, about, around, mostly with a sense of motion, “ἀ. μιν φᾶρος βάλον” Il.24.588, cf. Od.10.365; “ἀ. βωμίαν ἔπτηξε παστάδα” E.HF 984.
2. generally, by, on, ἀμφ᾽ ἅλα by the sea, Il.1.409; ἀ. ῥέεθρα somewhere by the banks, 2.461; ἀ. περὶ κρήνην somewhere about the fountain, 2.305; ἀ. ἄστυ all about in the city, 11.706; Τάρταρον ἀ. μέγαν somewhere in Tartarus, h.Ap.336, cf. A.Pr.1029; “ἀ. Εὔβοιαν” B.9.34; “ἀ. Θρῄκην” E.Andr.215; ἀ. ψάμαθον somewhere on the sand, S.Aj.1064; ἀ. βωμόν at the altar, E.IT705; “περὶ πίδακας ἀ.” Theoc. 7.142; of motion, to the neighbourhood of, “ἦλθες ἀ. Δωδώνην” A.Pr. 830.
3. of persons grouped about one, οἱ ἀ. Πρίαμον Priam and his train, Il.3.146, cf. 2.417,445; οἱ ἀ. Ξέρξεα his army, Hdt.8.25; but οἱ ἀ. Κορινθίους, οἱ ἀ. Μεγαρέας καὶ Φλειασίους the Corinthians, Megarians, etc., and those next them, Id.9.69: hence Att., οἱ ἀ. Πρωταγόραν the school of Protagoras or even Protagoras himself, Pl. Tht.170c; οἱ ἀ. Εὐθύφρονα Euthyphro's friends, Cra.399e, cf. Th.8.65; of a single person, perh. Pl.Hp.Ma.281c; so in later Prose, as Luc.VH2.18.
4. τὰ ἀ. τι that which concerns a thing, “τὰ ἀ. τὸ ἄριστον” Th.7.40; τὰ ἀ. τὴν δίαιταν domestic arrangements, X.Cyr.8.2.6.
5. causal, about, for the sake of, κλαίειν ἀ. τινα weep about or for one, Il.18.339; μνήσασθαι ἀ. τινα make mention of one, h.Hom. 7.1, cf. Terp.2, Ar.Nu.595; “κελαδέοντι φᾶμαι ἀ. Κινύραν” Pi.P.2.15, cf. I.7(6).9, A.Th.843; “ἀ. νιν γοώμενος” S.Tr.937.
6. ἀ. τι ἔχειν to be occupied about a thing, “ἀ. λιτάν᾽ ἕξομεν” A.Th.101; “ἀ. δεῖπνον εἶχεν” X.Cyr.5.5.44, cf. 5.2.26; “εἶναι ἀμφί τι” 7.1.1; “ἀ. τὰν δαῖσιν” Leg.Gort.5.46.
II. of Time, throughout, for, τὸν λοιπὸν ἀ. βίοτον, τὸν ὅλον ἀ. χρόνον, Pi.O.1.97, 2.30; about, at the time of, during, “ἀ. Πλειάδων δύσιν” A.Ag.826; “ἀ. τὸν χειμῶνα” X.Cyr.8.6.22, etc.
D. POSITION. In poets ἀμφί sts. follows its case, “οἱ δέ μιν ἀμφί” Od.23.46, cf. 10.218, B.17.53; “φρένας ἀ.” Hes.Th.554, Mimn.1.7; but never suffers anastrophe, Hdn.Gr.1.480.
E. WITHOUT CASE, as Adv., about, around, on both or all sides, freq. in Ep., “ῥῆξεν δέ οἱ ἀ. χιτῶνα” Il.13.439; ἀ. δὲ λειμών around is meadow, Od.6.292; so “ἀ. περί” Il.21.10, etc.
F. IN COMPOS.: