II. anything like a wing.
1. in pl., fins of fish, ib.489b24, 504b30, IA714a11; of the tail-flaps of a lobster, Id.HA490a3, cf. 525b27, PA684a13, GA720b12; of certain sea-slugs, Id.HA532b22, 24; fins of the sepia and other cuttle-fish, “πτερύγι᾽ . . σηπίας ὠπτημένα” Sotad.Com.1.16, cf. Alex.187.3, Arist.HA524a31, PA685b16.
2. horns of the horned owl, Id.HA597b22.
3. end or tip of the rudder, Poll.1.90; of a pole, Hsch.
4. in a building, turret or battlement, or (as others) pointed roof, peak, Ev.Luc.4.9; cf. “πτέρυξ” 11.7.
5. flap, fold (cf. “πτέρυξ” 11.4), Arist.Aud.802a39, LXXNu. 15.38, Ru.3.9, Poll.7.62; flap of a cuirass, Aen.Tact.31.8; “π. κρανῶν” IG22.1424a.399 (pl.).
6. in the body, part of the shoulderblade, Poll.2.177; of the ear, parts joining the temples, ib.85, Hsch.; of the nose, parts joining the cheeks, Poll.2.80, Sor.1.71, Gal.UP11.12.
7. Medic., disease of the eye when a membrane grows over it from the inner corner, Hp.Prorrh.2.20, Cels.7.7.4, Dsc.1.108, Gal. 7.732.
8. fleshy excrescence on the nails, Cels.6.19.1, Dsc.1.110, Paul.Aeg.6.85.