previous next

Elephantīné

Ἐλεφαντίνη νῆσος). An island in the Nile, with a city of the same name, opposite to Syené, and seven stadia below the Little Cataract. It was the frontier station of Egypt towards Ethiopia, and was strongly garrisoned under the Persians and the Romans (Ptol.iv. 5.70). The original name of the island was Ebo—Eb being in the language of hieroglyphics symbolical of the elephant and of ivory. Here was a temple of Cnuphis and here also a Nilometer. Many important inscriptions have been found here; and until 1822 (when they were destroyed by the governor) there existed the ruins of the temple and of a granite gateway of the time of Alexander III. See Mariette, Monuments of Upper Egypt (1877); A. B. Edwards, A Thousand Miles up the Nile (1877).

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: