previous next

Farnese Hercules

A colossal statue executed by Glycon of Athens, and representing Hercules clothed in a lion's skin and resting on his huge club, while in his right hand he holds the three golden apples of the Hesperides. The statue, which is now in the Museo Nazionale at Naples, was found at Rome in the Thermae of Caracalla in 1540. It then lacked the legs and the left hand, which were restored by Della Porta after a model in terra cotta by Michael Angelo. Twenty years later the original legs were found in a well three miles from the place whence the statue itself was taken. The work is evidently of a comparatively late period, and shows a tendency to exaggeration in the overstrained effort to express muscular strength, which led Thackeray to characterize it as a “clumsy, caricatured porter.” It is reproduced in the illustration on page 793.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: