A cave at the foot of the Palatine Hill, consecrated by Evander to the god Pan, who was
identified with Lupercus by the Latins, as protecting the flocks from wolves (lupos arcens) (ad Aen. viii. 343). See Lupercalia.
Harry Thurston Peck. Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities. New York. Harper and Brothers. 1898.
The National Endowment for the Humanities provided support for entering this text.