previous next


or, more commonly, Lutetia Parisiōrum (Paris). The capital of the Parisii in Gallia Lugdunensis, was situated on an island (now La Cité) in the Sequana (Seine), and was connected with the banks of the river by two wooden bridges. Under the emperors it became a place of importance, and the chief naval station on the Sequana. Here Julian was proclaimed emperor, A.D. 360, at which time the name of the place was changed to Parisii. Remains of a great Roman bath belonging to a palace still exist near the Boulevard St. Michel. See Caes. B. G. vi. 3; vii. 58; Ammian. Marcel. xvii. 2, 8; xx. 4; and Hoffbauer, Paris à travers les Ages (1891 foll.).

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: