previous next

Column of Phocas

A pillar fifty-four feet in height, still standing in the Roman Forum, where it was disinterred from the rubbish that covered it, in 1813, at the expense of the Duchess of Devonshire. It was erected by the exarch Smaragdus in A.D. 608 in honour of the emperor Phocas (q.v.), whose gilded statue originally crowned it.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: