A group of sculptures discovered by the architect Humann in 1871, and excavated by Conze,
R. Bohn, and others in 1878 and the following years, with the aid of the German government.
They belonged to the acropolis at Pergamum
They comprise a piece representing a battle of the Giants, mentioned in Ampelius (Liber
). The piece is colossal, occupying the upper part of a marble altar which
is nearly forty feet in height. The sculptures are now in the Museum at Berlin. See Ars Statuaria