previous next

CU´RIA

CU´RIA (βουλευτήριον, γερουσία), the building in which the highest council of the state held its meetings. Scarcely anything is known of the form or dimensions of such structures. Vitruvius (5.2) gives a curious rule for ascertaining the proportions between the height and the length and breadth: this does not, however, agree with the probable plan and elevation of the Curia of Diocletian at Rome. The same author enjoins the use of a cornice half-way up the wall to throw down the sound. The occurrence of columns down each side of the hall is attested by Pausanias (8.32; 10.5) at Phocis; a like arrangement has been noticed at Pompeii.

The history and site of the Senate-house at Rome have been much discussed. Built by Tullus Hostilius (Varr. L. L. 5.155-6), the Curia Hostilia was burnt at the funeral of Clodius (B.C. 52). Successive restorations by a son of Sulla and by Augustus are recorded in the names C. Cornelia and C. Julia. Under Domitian the C. Julia was again rebuilt. A still later building, ascribed to Diocletian, has been identified with the present church of S. Adriano on the N.E. of the Forum. It is of brick, ornamented with stucco and marble. (Franz v. Reber, Die Lage d. C. Hostilia u. d. C. Julia; H. Jordan, Topogr. d. Stadt Rom, 1 Bd., 2 Abth. p. 250 ff.; J. H. Middleton, Anc. Rome in 1885; Lanciani, L'aula e gli Uffici del Senato Romano ; Du Perac, Vestigj di Roma, 1575.)

[J.M]

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: