Eth. HOLMI Ὅλμοι
: Eth. Ὁλμεύς
), a town on the coast of Cilicia Tracheia, a little to the south-west of Seleucia; during the period after Alexander its inhabitants were transferred to form the population of the neighbouring Seleuceia. (Strab. xiv. p.670
; Scylax, p. 40
; Steph. B. sub voce
s. v.; Plin. Nat. 5.22
, who calls the place Holmia.
) Leake (Asia Minor,
p. 205) thinks the modern town of Aghaliman
occupies the site of the ancient Holmi, which Scylax describes as deserted even in his time.
Another town of the same name existed in Phrygia, on the road from Apameia to Iconium, at the entrance into a pass of Mount Taurus. (Strab. xiv. p.663
It is probable that it may have been the same place as the fort Myriocephalon, by which the emperor Manuel Comnenus passed in A.D. 1172, before the battle of Iconium. (Nicet. Chonat. p. 115.)