a fortress in the N. of Britannia Romana, and the station of the Ala Prima Herculea (Not. Prov.
) It lay close to the Picts' wall, and Camden thinks (p. 1022) that it occupied the site of Linstoc Castle
in the barony of Crosby,
not far from Carlisle.
Horsley, however (p. 112) takes it to be Old Carlisle,
where there are some conspicuous Roman remains.