previous next

ROMU´LEA

ROMU´LEA (Ῥωμνλία, Steph. B. sub voce: Bisaccia), a city of Samnium, mentioned by Livy (10.17), as being taken by the Roman consul P. Decius, or according to others by Fabius, in the Third Samnite War, B.C. 297. It is described as being a large and opulent place; but seems to have afterwards fallen into decay, as the name is not noticed by any other writer, except Stephanus of Byzantium, and is not found in any of the geographers. But the Itineraries mention a station Sub Romula, which they place on the Appian Way, 21 miles beyond Aeculanum, and 22 miles from the Pens Aufidi (Itin. Ant. p. 120). Both these stations being known, we may fix Romulea, which evidently occupied a hill above the road, on the site of the modern town of Bisaccia, where various ancient remains have been discovered. (Romanelli, vol. ii. p. 348; Cluver. Ital. p. 1204; Pratilli, Via Appia, 4.5).

[E.H.B]

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: