), a promontory of Magnesia, opposite the island of Sciathos, and forming the SE. extremity of Thessaly.
It is now called C. St. George.
It is celebrated in mythology as the spot where Peleus laid in wait for Thetis, and from whence he carried off the goddess (Eur. Andr. 1266
) and in history as the scene of the great shipwreck of the fleet of Xerxes. (Hdt. 7.113
: Strab. ix. p.443
; Apollon. 1.580
; Ptol. 3.13.16
; Plin. Nat. 4.9. s. 16
; Mela, 2.3; Leake, Northern Greece,
vol. iv. p. 382.)