, Ptol. 4.3.30
), an important town of Numidia, but which is only mentioned in the later writers.
It was a Roman colony (Gruter, Inscr.
p. 600; Itin. Ant.
p. 27), and the place where many roads running in a SE. direction into the Roman province of Africa, had their commencement. (Cf. ltin. Ant.
pp. 33, 46, 47, 53, 54.)
It is the town of Tebessa,
recently discovered by General Negrier, considerable ruins of which still exist, especially the ancient walls, the circumference of which indicates a town capable of containing 40,000 inhabitants. (See Letronne, in Rev. Archéol.
iv. p. 360, sqq.; Sur l'Arc de Triomphe de Teveste, &c.,
Paris, 1847; Jahn's Jahrbücher,
lii. p. 409.)