), as the name appears in Isidorus of Charax.
It is Anathan in Ammianus Marcellinus (24.1
), and Bethauna (Βέθαυνα,
perhaps Beth Ana) in Ptolemy (5.18.6
). D'Anville (L'Euphrate,
p. 62) observes that the place which Zosimus (3.14) calls Phathusae, in his account of Julian's Persian campaign (A.D. 363), and fixes about the position of Anah,
is nowhere else mentioned.
It seems, however, to be the same place as Anah,
or near it.
is on the Euphrates, north of Hit, in a part where there are eight successive islands (about 34 1/2° N.L.). Anah
itself occupies a “fringe of soil on the right bank of the river, between a low ridge of rock and the swift-flowing waters.” (London Geog. Journ.
vol. vii. p. 427.)
This place was an important position for commerce in ancient times, and probably on the line of a caravan route. When Julian was encamped before Anatho, one of the hurricanes that sometimes occur in these parts threw down his tents.
The emperor took and burnt Anatho.
Tavernier (Travels ín Turkey and Persia,
3.6) describes the country around Anah
as well cultivated; and the place as being on both sides of the river, which has an island in the middle.
It is a pleasant and fertile spot, in the midst of a desert. Ranwolf, whose travels were published in 1582, 1583, speaks of the olive, citron, orange, and other fruits growing there.
The island of Anah
is covered with ruins, which also extend for two miles further along the left bank of the river.
The place is about 313 miles below Bir, and 440 above Hillah, the site of Babylon, following the course of the river. (London Geog. Journ.
vol. iii. p. 232.) Tavernier makes it four days' journey from Bagdad to Anah.