The Black Horse cavalry.
The Black Horse Cavalry was organized, or rather first set in line, by Captain D. H. Jones
, United States Army, afterward a Confederate general, at Waterloo
, on the Rappahannock river
, in Farquier county, Virginia, on the 18th of June, 1859, the anniversary of the battle of Waterloo
On that day, so auspicious for liberties of mankind, did this command come into existence which was destined to act so distinguished and important a part in the prolonged effort to establish the independence of a Southern Republic.
Already had the storm-cloud began to gather, the hurricane to lower in the distance, and the organization of the Black
Horse Cavalry was the first step which was taken in Fauquier county
to meet the prognosticated war. The first captain elected was John Scott
, a planter, residing in the neighborhood of Warrenton
, and the author of “The lost principle.”
, a young lawyer of the Warrenton
bar, was chosen first lieutenant; Charles H. Gordon
, a planter, residing near Bealton, was elected second lieutenant.
The noncommissioned officers were: William R. Smith
, first sergeant, who was during the war elected a lieutenant of the command, and was afterward one of the most distinguished captains of Mosby
's Partisan Battalion, but was killed, sword in hand, in a night attack on a Federal camp at Harper's Ferry
; James H. Childs
was elected second sergeant; Richard Lewis
was elected third sergeant; Robert Mitchell
was elected fourth sergeant.
The corporals were: Wellington Millon
, Madison Tyler
, N. A. Clopton
, and M. K. James
These were all young gentlemen of the first respectability, and were either themselves planters or