previous next
[636] had offered to pay the troopers forty cents per day for their use and risk; with the proviso, however, that, in case the trooper lost his horse in any way, he must furnish another, or serve on foot. This proviso was the straw that broke the camel's back. After three months spent in drilling, and in unavailing efforts to fill up, Captain Wister's troop disbanded, on the 30th of June, and its members sought service in other commands.

In the meantime, Colonel Schurz had gone to New York, and had succeeded in raising four companies of Germans who had seen service in the cavalry of Europe. And here, also, he was joined by six companies of Americans, which had been organized in hopes of being accepted by the government. A company from Michigan also joined him, which, with Boyd's Philadelphia company, completed the regiment. About this time Colonel Schurz was appointed Minister to Spain, and some trouble was then experienced in getting a suitable commander. At last /Major Andrew T. McReynolds, a Michigan lawyer, who had seen service in the cavalry in Mexico, was accepted by the government in lieu of Colonel Schurz, and things again looked favorable. No one knew how the men were to be mounted and equipped. The several States had made no efforts to comply with the request of the War Secretary; the men, with few exceptions, were unable to mount and equip themselves, and things had about come to a stand-still. It was even feared that the organization could not be kept together, as the men were not mustered into service. On the 10th of July the government came to its senses, and an order was issued requiring the proper departments to furnish horses and equipments to companies of volunteer cavalry when ready to be mustered into service; and on the 19th of July Captain Boyd's company was mustered in at Philadelphia by Major Ruff, the United States mustering officer. The company had appeared before him to be mustered in on the 16th, but were rejected because they lacked one man of the requisite number. The officers of the company were: Captain, William H. Boyd; First Lieutenant, William W. Hanson; and Second Lieutenant, James H. Stevenson (he who had been drilling Captain Wister's troops at Chestnut Hill). On the 22d of July, Boyd's company arrived at Washington, amid the excitement caused by the Union repulse at Bull run the previous day. That night they listened to horrifying tales of the sanguinary deeds performed by the “Black Horse cavalry” on that disastrous field, but it only seemed to stimulate the boys with a desire to measure swords with horsemen so renowned.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
William H. Boyd (4)
Carl Schurz (3)
William Rotch Wister (2)
James H. Stevenson (1)
Ruff (1)
Andrew T. McReynolds (1)
William W. Hanson (1)
Americans (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
July 22nd (1)
July 19th (1)
July 10th (1)
June 30th (1)
16th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: