previous next

June 1.

The bombardment of the rebel batteries at Acquia Creek was re-begun, at 11 80 A. M., by the U. S. gun-boats Freeborn and Pawnee. The firing on shore was scarcely as spirited at any time as on the day before. The heights were abandoned, the guns apparently having been transferred to the earthworks at. the railroad termination, to replace the battery silenced there on the 31st ult. This railroad battery was otherwise repaired. The Freeborn approached to within about two miles from the shore, and fired four or five shots, when the Pawnee entered into the conflict, taking a position nearer to the land. For the first two [89] hours, the fire from the shore batteries was sharp, but was returned with more expedition by the Pawnee. During the engagement, she fired 160 shells, one of which was seen to explode immediately over the heads of the Confederates who were working the battery. The observer, through a telescope, saw numbers of bodies of them carried away on wagons. During that time the shore movements were faster than at any other. The Freeborn lodged three shells in succession in the beach battery, perceptibly damaging the works, which had the effect of greatly diminishing the fire. The Freeborn received two shot, one of which passed through the cabin, damaging some of the crockery, but not the vessel, except making a passage through the bulwarks of slight consequence. The Pawnee received eight or nine shot, but all too high to inflict much damage. One struck her main-topsail yard, which was thereby unslung; another grazed the mizzenmasthead and passed through the hammock nettings. It is the opinion of the officers on board, that had the rebels been provided with good gunners, the vessels might probably have been sunk. Some of the Confederates' shots passed over the masthead to the Maryland shore. After five hours of incessant fire the gun-boats hauled off owing to the fatigue of the men, the day being very warm. During the last hour of the engagement only two or three shots were thrown from the shore, and the gunners were seen stealthily now and then to emerge from the concealment, and hastily load and fire a single gun. The railroad depot and buildings on the shore at Aquia Creek are all destroyed. The damage to the beach battery is not considered permanent, as the Confederates can soon repair it.--N. Y. Times, June 3.

About daylight, Company B, of the second U. S. Cavalry, 47 privates, under Lieutenant Tompkins and Second Lieutenant Gordon, and three members of the New York Fifth Regiment, Quartermaster Fearing, Assistant Quartermaster Carey, and Adjutant Frank, reconnoitring within 300 yards of Fairfax Courthouse, by the Winchester road, were fired on by two of a picket of the Virginia troops. They captured the picket and then entered the village from the North side, and were fired on from the Union Hotel and from many houses, and from platoons behind fences. They charged down the principal street upon the mounted riflemen whom they dispersed, and then wheel. ed about and instantly charged back, and were then met by two considerable detatchments, with a field-piece. Turning, they cut through a third detachment in the rear, and left the village bringing with them five prisoners, and killing throughout the engagement, as the officer in command thought, twenty-seven men. Two of the United States cavalry are missing, two are killed, and Assistant Quartermaster Carey, of the New York Fifth Regiment, is wounded in the foot. Lieutenant Tompkins had two horses shot under him, the last one falling on his leg, injuring it slightly.1--(Doc. 221.)--Washington Star, June 1.

The secession forces on the upper Potomac, attempted to take possession of the ferry-boat lying opposite Williamsport, for the purpose, as is conjectured, of removing into “Falling Waters,” a point four miles below, where there is a considerable number of secession troops stationed, who doubtless intended by means of the boat to cross to the Maryland side on a marauding expedition. The Union company at Williamsport, as soon as they observed the opposite party possessing themselves of the boat, ordered them to desist, which they refused to do; whereupon the Union guns opened fire upon them, which was returned, and a brisk fire was kept up on both sides for about an hour. Three or four secessionists were wounded, one seriously. None were killed or wounded on the Federal side.--N. Y. Evening Post, June 3.

Shortly before 12 o'clock last night a skirmish took place at Arlington Mills, near Alexandria, between Capt. Brown's company of Zouaves and Capt. Roth's, Company E, of the Michigan Regiment, and a scouting party of nine Virginians. The Zouaves had just arrived to relieve the Michigan troops, and had posted sentinels when the Virginians attacked them. The Federal troops drove them away. One Zouave was killed and another wounded. [90] It is supposed one rebel was killed or wounded, as in the retreat he was carried off. The rebels retired in the woods during the night, and this morning took a hand-car and left for parts unknown.--N. Y. Commercial, June 2.

At night word came into the camp of the Twenty-eighth New York Regiment, that the two dragoons missing from Company B, which made the sally on Fairfax Court-house this morning, were captured by the rebels, and were to be hung. Company B was immediately summoned from their quarters, and mounting, rode up to the Court-house, and having by some means ascertained the precise location of their comrades, made a dash through the village, and recovered the two men, whom they brought back in triumph to the camp.

Of the five Confederate prisoners taken at the Court-house one is a son of the late Major Washington of the Army. He said he did not want to fight against the United States, and made amends by taking the oath of allegiance.--N. Y. Times, June 3.

The big guns were planted at Cairo, El., and the first thirty-two pound ball was sent booming down the Mississippi, a warning to all traitors to keep at a respectable distance. Great satisfaction was expressed throughout the camp that these heavy guns were at length in place. The firing over, a whole regiment of nearly a thousand men, detailed for the day, sprang to their shovels and wheelbarrows, and the work of completing the breastworks went gaily on. The levee itself forms an excellent breastwork, behind which, now that Bird's Point is fortified, the soldiers would be perfectly protected, and with Sharp's rifles they could mow down whole regiments, if the steamers that bore them escaped the artillery and effected a landing.--National Intelligencer, June 13.

Jefferson Davis was serenaded at Richmond, and addressed the assembled crowd. To a person who wanted to hear something about Buena Vista, he said that they “would make the battle-field of Virginia another Buena Vista, and drench it with blood more precious than that which flowed there.” Gov. Wise also addressed the crowd, and told them to arm with any thing they could get, and to take a lesson from John Brown.--(Doc. 222.)

There is published an order of the Postmaster General of the Southern Confederacy, by which the postmasters throughout the rebel States are ordered to “retain” the stamps, locks, etc., of the various offices — the property of the United States.--(Doc. 223.)

L. W. Bliss, Acting Governor of Jefferson Territory, proclaimed the neutrality of that Territory, and forbid the payment of any debts or future dues to the United States or any body else outside the Territory; but he generously offered to receive payment for all debts due to outsiders into the Territorial Treasury, and give his notes for it on interest at ten per cent.--(Doc. 224.)

The address of the Central Committee of Northwestern Virginia to the people of that locality, is published in full.--(Doc. 225.)

1 Upon other authority it is said that the oay. one killed in the rebel camp was Capt. John Q. Marr,, of the Warrenton Rifles. He heard the troops coming up and ordered them to halt. They replied; that they were Capt. Pow. ell's Cavalry Company. Capt. Marr-then ordered his men to arms, when the United States Dragoons fired a volley, killing the captain. Instantly the rebels rushed out in undress, and in a disordered condition, and fired on the cavalry at random. Capt. Marr was a member of the Vir. ginia State Convention, and a member elect of the Legias laturo from Fauquier County.--N. Y. Times, June 2.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
June 3rd (3)
June 2nd (2)
June 1st (2)
June 13th (1)
31st (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: