previous next

April 5.

The United States gunboat Caronde. let, Capt. Walke, arrived at New Madrid, Mo., this morning at one o'clock, having passed the fortifications at Island Number10, and the batteries upon the mainland opposite, and now lies moored safely to the shore, under the guns of the upper fort at New Madrid.

The Carondelet left the fleet last evening at ten o'clock, during a terrific thunder-storm, and having taken a barge in tow, laden with hay and coal, to serve as a protection from the enemy's balls, extinguished her lights, put on steam, and rapidly sailed down the river. The first intimation the rebels had of the attempt to run the blockade was the fire which issued from the burning chimney of the gunboat, and immediately thereafter it was greeted with a shower of balls from the infantry stationed at the upper battery, the same which was so effectually spiked a few days since by Col. Roberts.

A signal rocket was then sent up, and in an instant the entire line of batteries were a blaze of flame. Four batteries on the Kentucky shore and on the point of the island fired in quick succession, but the Carondelet passed them all in safety, and, unmindful of the leaden and iron hail which fell around, passed down through the fiery ordeal unhurt; not a man was injured, and excepting a few musket-balls which struck the iron-plated sides of the gunboat, she was untouched.

The floating-battery, located three miles below the island, bestowed a parting shower of blazing compliments as the Carondelet glided quietly by. The Hollins ram Manassas did not open fire. The National officers and men acquitted themselves with admirable courage and fidelity.--(Doc. 116.)

The schooner A. J. Wills, of Philadelphia, was captured by a squad of Government police in Nabb's Creek, a stream running from Stony Creek, Va. On board the vessel was found a large quantity of provisions designed for the use of the rebels who were captured yesterday in the schooner Resolution.--Baltimore American, April 8.

The following order was issued from the War Department this day:--

Col. D'Utassy, of the Garibaldi Guard, New York Volunteers, and all the officers of General Blenker's division who are now under arrest, are hereby released from arrest, and will join their regiments without delay, and resume their respective commands.--New York Herald, April 6.

A resolution passed the Wisconsin Assembly this day, tendering to the President of the United States an unqualified approval of his course, from the day of his inauguration to the present time. There was but one vote against it.--Philadelphia Press, April 15.

That portion of the Army of the Potomac, recently concentrated at Old Point, Va., advanced yesterday, moving in the direction of Yorktown, twenty-four miles distant. The right was assigned to Gen. Morrill's brigade, of Gen. Porter's division, two companies of the Third Pennsylvania cavalry, and a portion of Berdan's sharpshooters acting as skirmishers. Nothing of interest took place until their arrival at Big Bethel, twelve miles distant, where they met the outer pickets of the rebels. The troops were delayed here two hours in reconstructing a bridge which had been destroyed.

The rebels retreated before the advance of the National skirmishers to Howard's Creek, where [79] they had some abandoned earthworks. Four shots were fired here by the rebels from two field-pieces, which were soon silenced by the Fourth Rhode Island battery, when the rebels beat a hasty retreat, taking their pieces with them. The main body of the army here rested for the night, while Gen. Morrill's brigade advanced three miles to Buckleville, and six miles from Yorktown, and then encamped. By seven o'clock this morning, the column was again in motion, and at ten o'clock was in front of the enemy's works at Yorktown.

The first shot fired was by the rebels, the shells passing over the heads of Gen. Porter and staff without exploding. The batteries of Griffin, Third and Fourth Rhode Island, and Fifth Massachusetts were now placed in position, replying to every shot sent by the rebels. The cannonading continued with but slight intermission until dark. About four hundred shots were fired by both parties during the day. The Union loss was six killed and sixteen wounded.--(Doc. 119.)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
David D. Porter (2)
Morrill (2)
Doc (2)
Walke (1)
B. S. Roberts (1)
G. N. Hollins (1)
Dawsy Griffin (1)
D'Utassy (1)
Blenker (1)
Berdan (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
April 15th (1)
April 8th (1)
April 6th (1)
April 5th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: