previous next

May 17.

At Galveston, Texas, Captain Henry Eagle, commanding the United States naval forces, sent the following message to the commander of the rebel forces at that place:

In a few days the naval and land forces of the United States will appear off the town of Galveston to enforce its surrender. To prevent the effusion of blood and destruction of property which would result from the bombardment of your town, I hereby demand the surrender of the place, with all its fortifications and batteries in its vicinity, with all arms and munitions of war. I trust you will comply with this demand.

General Herbert replied that when the land and naval forces made their appearance, the demand would be answered. At the same time he advised the people of the city to “keep cool — there is no danger. When the enemy lands and endeavors to penetrate into the interior, he will be fought on every inch of ground. In the mean time, every man should stand by his arms, and be ready to take the field at a moment's warning.” --Houston Telegraph, May 23.

There was a general advance of the Union lines towards Corinth, with much skirmishing and several severe engagements. General Sherman's division lost forty-four killed and a number wounded, in attacking Russell's House, but succeeded in dislodging the rebels from that position.--(Doc. 41.)

The gunboat Currituck, accompanied by the transport steamer Seth Low, made a reconnoissance up the Pamunkey River, Va., for the purpose of capturing or destroying two rebel steamers and several smaller vessels supposed to be at or near Casey's Point, about ten miles below Newcastle. On reaching that point the vessels were not found, and the gunboat continued the search until within a mile of Newcastle, where two companies of infantry landed and marched to an elevated position, from which they discovered all the vessels in flames, they having been set on fire to prevent their capture by the Currituck. The object of the reconnoissance having been accomplished, the companies reembarked and returned to the White House.--N. Y. Times, May 20.

The gunboat Penobscot, Captain Clitch, opened fire on the shore batteries at Newlet Inlet, near Wilmington, N. C. The attack brought out the position and power of the guns and batteries, and this being all that was wanted, the gunboat soon ceased to fire.--National Intelligencer.

The advance-guard of he Army of the Potomac reached the Chickahominy River at Bottom's Bridge, about fifteen miles from Richmond. The rebels destroyed the bridge, and the march of the Union troops was obstructed.--McClellan's Despatch.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
W. T. Sherman (1)
George B. McClellan (1)
Herbert (1)
Henry Eagle (1)
Doc (1)
Clitch (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May 23rd (1)
May 20th (1)
May 17th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: