previous next

May 26.

The Eighth, Eleventh, Seventy-first, and Thirty-seventh regiments New York State Militia were ordered by the Governor of the State of New York to hold themselves in readiness to proceed to Washington.

The Seventh regiment, New York State Militia, left New York for Washington in response to the call for troops to defend the capital.--The Twenty-fifth regiment, New York State Militia, met at Albany and resolved to volunteer their services.--The Thirty-second regiment of Massachusetts volunteers, under the command of Col. F. I. Parker, left Boston for Washington this evening.

General Banks's command crossed the Potomac safely at Williamsport, Md.--(Doc. 15.)

This day, by order of Gen. Dix, commanding the Department of Maryland, Judge Richard Carmichael and James Powell, Prosecuting Attorney, of Talbot County, Md., were arrested at Easton, in that county, by the United States Marshal, upon a charge of treason. Some resistance [18] was apprehended, and a body of military proceeded from Baltimore to insure the arrest, which was made in the court-room. The accused were lodged in Fort McHenry.

Intelligence was received at Washington that the United States steamer Shawsheen, with one company of the Ninth New York regiment, on the ninth instant, proceeded up the Chowan River, N. C., to Gates County, and destroyed fifty thousand dollars' worth of bacon, corn, lard, fish, etc., belonging to the confederate government. The warehouse containing it was burned, and as the party were returning to the boat they were fired upon by thirty rebel cavalry, but succeeded in driving them off, and killing the leader.

General D. E. Sickles resumed the command of the Excelsior brigade, N. Y. S. volunteers.--The Confiscation Bill passed the United States House of Representatives.

The British steamer Patras was captured, twenty-two miles off Charleston bar, by the United States gunboat Bienville, Commander Mullaney, while attempting to run the blockade. Her cargo consisted of gunpowder, rifles, coffee, and a large quantity of quinine. She had no papers showing her nationality or port of destination.

A skirmish took place near Grand Gulf, Miss., between a small party of Union troops, commanded by Lieut. De Kay, which landed from the gunboat Kennebec and a body of rebel cavalry, resulting in the retreat of the Unionists, and the loss of their leader, Lieut. De Kay, who was killed at the first fire.

Lieutenant Frank C. Davis, of the Third Pennsylvania cavalry, returned to Fair Oak Station, after successfully delivering a message from Gen. McClellan to Captain Rodgers, in command of the Union gunboats on the James River.--(Doc. 118.)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Drake Kay (2)
Doc (2)
Daniel E. Sickles (1)
C. R. P. Rodgers (1)
James Powell (1)
F. I. Parker (1)
Mullaney (1)
George B. McClellan (1)
John A. Dix (1)
Frank C. Davis (1)
Richard Carmichael (1)
N. P. Banks (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May 26th (1)
9th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: