previous next

Doc. 128.-the draft riot in Boston.

Boston post narrative.

Boston, July 15, 1863.
there was no little excitement in the city yesterday afternoon and last evening, growing out of the preliminary enforcement of the conscription act. It appears that Mr. David Howe and Mr. Wesley Hill, connected with enrolling office, District Four, were engaged yesterday noon in serving notices to those who had been drafted. While in the prosecution of this work they were interrupted, and somewhat severely treated, as will be seen further on. Mr Howe was in the act of leaving a notice at No. 146 Prince street, when he and Mr. Hill were set upon with violence by a small crowd which had been following them. Mr. Hill immediately escaped and proceeded as quickly as possible to the provost-marshal's office, No. 106 Sudbury street, to inform Captain Howe of what was taking place. Mr. Howe was pushed and hustled, and finally struck upon the head. At this point Officer Wilkins, of Station One, arrived and rendered assistance to the imperilled man. Mr. Wilkins succeeded in getting Mr. Howe away from the crowd, and entered the store of Mr. Stearns, on the corner of Prince and Commercial streets, where the blood was washed from his face. The officer then started to walk with Mr. Howe to his lodgings — the Merrimac House — but as soon as they reached the street, the crowd, which had by this time greatly increased in numbers, again set upon Mr. Howe. This time he was thrown down and badly beaten. He was subsequently taken into a house on Causeway street, where Dr. A, B. Hall attended him. He had five or six cuts about his head, which bled freely, and an equal number about his face. Both eyes were cut, and so swelled that the sight was temporarily lost. There were several severe bruises on his side, but no bones were broken. He was removed to his lodgings at night.

While these acts of violence and disorder were progressing, a corps of policemen was detailed to quell the same. Officer Trask, of Station Two, was severely wounded about the head and neck, mostly by bricks and other missiles thrown at him. Officer Winship, of Station One, was severely used after the same style. Officers Ostrando and Wasgatt, of the same station, were more or less bruised; but on no occasion did either of the officers give way to the rioters, or allow themselves to be intimidated in the least degree. The above are all the acts of violence we could learn. The crowds that assembled were evidently overawed. They proceeded without further demonstrations to the vicinity of Station One, Hanover street. Squads also gathered in Commercial and North streets, Haymarket Square, and other localities at the North End. The same was the case last evening.

In the mean time the city authorities instituted measured of the most efficient nature to quell any riotous demonstrations that might have been made, and to which the State authorities lent a willing hand. Captain E. J. Jones, of the Eleventh battery, was ordered to proceed to the armory, Cooper street, and be in readiness for any emergency which might arise. During the afternoon extra cannon and other material of a like nature were brought in from Readville. An order was also issued to the Metropolitan horse railroad to furnish thirty horses for the battery, which was at once complied with. At five o'clock a company of one hundred men from the Third artillery regiment at Fort Independence reached the city, and marched up State, Washington, and Court streets, in which thoroughfares they were cheered lustily. The company was fully prepared for immediate service, had such been required. Their presence in the city was quite generally welcomed. The First battalion of dragoons, Major Wilder, were notified to be in immediate readiness, in case their services were required. Governor Andrew issued an order for the Forty-fourth regiment to assemble at their armory, Boylston Hall, forthwith, and await orders. They assembled with alacrity, and were ready for service during the afternoon, evening, and night. The Forty-fifth regiment were ordered to assemble this morning at Readville at sunrise, or as soon afterward as possible.

Since the above was in type, matters have assumed a much more serious aspect, involving the loss of life of several persons. At half-past 8 o'clock the telegraph fire alarm was sounded. This had previously been agreed upon as the signal of danger. A crowd had assembled in Dock Square, numbering some five hundred persons, evidently premeditating a demonstration of some sort. This was soon developed. The hardware store of Thomas P. Barnes, No. 28 Dock Square, was broken open by the mob, and in a very short time rifled of guns, pistols, bowie-knives, and other similar goods. About one hundred guns, seventy-five pistols, four dozen bowie-knives, and a quantity of superior cutlery were stolen, valued at about four thousand dollars. From the fact that these articles were selected, and no other goods harmed, it is supposed that the rioters were aware of their location in the store. The mob next attempted to enter the gun-store of John P. Lovell, over the store of Mr. Barnes. But in this they did not appear to have succeeded. They next went to the well-known store of Mr. Reed, Faneuil Hall Square, and were about to obtain a forcible entrance, when they were met by the police, under command of Mr. Dunn, of the detective force, who at once made an assault upon the invaders. In the melee a man named James Campbell, the ringleader, was shot in the head and one arm. He was arrested and taken to Station Two, where his wounds were attended to by Dr. Palmer. They are not dangerous. He is in the employ of Michael Doherty, a well-known liquor-dealer in North street. An attempt was made to bail him out, but this was unsuccessful. He endeavored to shoot Officer Dunn, who appeared to be too quick for him. As soon [436] as the police fired upon the mob they dispersed in great haste, evidently thinking danger was at hand.

Shortly after the scene just described had occurred, a large force of police arrived, and immediately following was the company from Fort Independence. The light dragoons completed the column. The arrival of this formidable force was greeted by the enthusiastic applause of the assembled multitude. Their advent completely squelched any demonstration on the part of the mob. The police shortly afterward began to clear the square and the vicinity of Faneuil Hall. Military were placed at each avenue. In Faneuil Hall Square two cannon, well charged, were made ready for service in case of necessity. We are glad to state that this extremity did not occur. About eleven o'clock a rain set in, and most of the crowd dispersed.

While these things were progressing, a much more serious affair took place at and in the vicinity of the armory in Cooper street, the headquarters of Jones's battery. About half-past 8 o'clock the armory was surrounded by a crowd which was unmistakably bent on mischief. It commenced by the throwing of stones, bricks, and other missiles. This was followed by a forcible entrance into the armory. The company were driven back from the doors. Lieutenant Sawin was seized, taken out, thrown down, and frightfully beaten. Captain Jones, finding matters had reached a crisis, and all warnings having failed, and finding, moreover, that the mob was likely to prevail, ordered one of his field-pieces, loaded with canister, to be discharged. This was followed, as might be naturally supposed, with fatal results. At least three persons were killed outright, and some estimate as many as ten, though of the latter number we have no definite information. A man whose name is not known, about thirty years old, was shot in eleven places. The body presented a frightful appearance. One arm was nearly shot away. His head and body were perforated in every direction. The body was taken to Police Station No. One. An elderly man named William Currier, seventy-two years old, father of Officer Currier of Station One, was shot dead in the armory by one of the mob. He was in the armory looking after his son. A boy named John Norton,ten years old, living at No. 166 Endicott street, was shot through the heart, and died immediately. Michael Geffey, a lad of about the same age, was shot in the bowels. His wounds are of a hopeless nature, and he was not expected to survive the night. A boy named Patrick Reynolds, living in Bolton Place, leading from Hanover street, was shot in the hip, the large bones of which were fractured. He was taken to the hospital, and is not expected to live. A woman was shot in the breast, and was carried off among the crowd; as were also some half-dozen others. The precise extent of the injuries could not be ascertained amid the confusion and terror of the hour. After this terrible but just punishment, the mob dispersed. No further acts of violence were perpetrated during the evening.

A large crowd assembled in Kingston street, about eight o'clock, but we do not hear that any special riotous acts were committed. The alarm by telegraph appeared to attract them downtown. The entire police force of the city was on duty — each man being armed, besides the usual equipments, with a six-barrelled revolver. The South-Boston police reported itself ready for duty in Court square, in twenty-eight minutes after the alarm was given. The management of the police throughout was very efficient.

Besides the regulars from Fort Warren, Companies B, C, and D, from Fort Warren, came up to the city, and were put on duty during the evening. A company of heavy artillery from Readville also reached the city at ten o'clock. All these companies were on duty during the night, well posted for active service. The dragoons patrolled the city all night, visiting such portions as might be supposed to harbor disorderly characters.

Boston courier account.

Boston, July 15, 1863.
A riot took place in this city last night which, but for the promptness of the measures taken to suppress it, would have probably proved as disastrous as that in New-York. The outbreak was apparently sudden, and with the fatal consequences, it is not unreasonable to believe that a repetition of it will not be made.

Wesley Hill and David Howe were engaged in distributing notifications to drafted men about noon. A notice had been left at a shop in Prince street, for a man who was not present, and Mr. Howe, stopping to talk with a woman in relation to the matter, was struck by her. An attempt was made to arrest the woman, when a gathering crowd hearing who the officers were, made an assault upon Howe, beating him severely. He was rescued from the mob by officer Wilkins, and carried into a store, corner of Prince and Causeway streets. When it was supposed the crowd had dispersed, they proceeded toward the Merrimac House, where Howe boarded, when they were again assailed, and Howe was separated from the officer and further beaten. Dr. Hall was called to dress the wounds of Howe, and found five or six cuts about his head, his eyes swelled, and face severely bruised. Meanwhile Mr. Hill, escaping from the mob, reported the difficulty at the office of the Provost-Marshal.

A force of police officers was sent to the scene of the disturbance, and in the attempt to quell it Officer Ostrander was severely injured in the head. Curtis Trask, of the Second Station, was cut with a knife immediately under one of his eyes, cut through his clothes on his right side, and was severely bruised in his back. For a time there were fears that other riotous acts would be committed, but nothing further occurred beyond the gathering of crowds of people in and near the First station-house. These crowds [437] increased as a knowledge of the disturbances was made known, and during the afternoon many were looking on through curiosity, while others talked over the matter of the draft with considerable feeling.

These serious indications of difficulty caused measures to be taken to increase the police force in suitable locations, and orders were issued to notify the Lancers, the Eleventh battery, Captain Jones, and the Forty-fourth regiment, to be ready for immediate service. An order was also sent to Fort Warren for troops, and three companies ware sent up, which, after being marched through several of the principal streets, were quartered at the barracks in Beach street. A company of regulars was also sent up from Fort Independence, and nearly a company of the Second cavalry, from Readville. These precautions, it was believed, would be sufficient to prevent any difficulty during the night.

As night approached, many young men, in squads of from six to twelve or more, from various parts of the city, were seen moving toward the North End, some of them with sticks or clubs, but even then it was not clear that any mischief was designed. At about half-past 8 o'clock, a crowd of from five hundred to one thousand gathered in front of the armory of the Eleventh battery, in Cooper street, with riotous demonstrations. Captain Jones warned the crowd of the dangers of a riot, but this did not avail, and an assault was made upon the building. Stones and bricks were freely thrown, the windows were broken, and the door forced, when some of the rioters entered the building, and several of the members of the battery were injured. It was then manifest that some more effectual measures must be taken, or the guns in possession of the battery would be captured. A gun had been loaded with canister-shot, and when the mob were about to triumph, it was fired with fatal effect, killing several and wounding many more.

This shot caused the mob to waver, but they did not give way entirely until a bayonet-charge was made upon them. The statements during the evening were very conflicting as to the result of the firing, but as near as could be ascertained at a late hour, the killed and wounded were as follows: A man about thirty-five years of age, name not known, was killed, eleven shot taking effect in his head and body, and his right arm was nearly shot off. The body was taken to the First station-house. William Currier, a man of seventy-one years, father of Officer William W. Currier, who lived near the Armory, was killed, it is supposed, by the mob. He belonged in Bow, New-Hampshire, and had been living in this city about six months. John Norton, a boy ten or twelve years of age, living at No. 166 Endicott street, shot through the heart, and died instantly. Michael Gaffy, fourteen years old, living at No. 31 Cross street, was shot in the bowels, and probably did not survive the night; his hand was also shot off. P. Reynolds, a boy of twelve years, living in Boston Place, was shot in the hip, the bone being badly shattered, and his arm broken. He was sent to the hospital, and may survive.

The boys were all taken to the office of Dr. Walsh, in North square, and such measures were taken for the relief of the living as were found to be necessary. There were reports that the body of a woman was seen carried through the streets on a bier, but it could not be learned who she was. Reports of other persons being killed and wounded it was difficult to verify.

About the same time with the attack on the Armory, a mob of several hundred persons made a rush into Dock Square, to procure arms. The store of Thomas P. Barnes, No. 28, was broken open, the door and window being demolished, when the best arms in the store were immediately seized upon and carried away. Not less than one hundred guns, nearly as many pistols, and three or four dozen bowie-knives, valued at some three thousand dollars, were stolen. From appearances in the choice of the articles, and the position from which some of them were taken, it is believed that the leaders must have had knowledge of their location. The door of the entry adjoining was broken open, and the mob rushed up-stairs to the shop of John P. Lovell, gunsmith, but it did not appear that the shop was entered.

The next rush was made for the store of William Read & Son, Faneuil Hall Square. A guard of several officers has been stationed in this store, known to have a larger and more choice stock of fire-arms than any other in the city. When the mob entered Dock Square, John M. Dunn, detective officer, who was at Mr. Read's store, hurried to the Second station-house, filled a carriage with officers well armed, and driving rapidly reached the store just as the mob was breaking in. One man who struck a blow upon the window was shot in the head, and the mob received a check. This man was James Campbell, very stout and muscular, and although the shot took effect above his eye, causing much blood to flow, it did not appear that he was seriously injured. He was carried to the station-house, and locked up. Some efforts were made to effect his release on bail, which, however, proved ineffectual.

As soon as the riotous demonstrations became known, an alarm was given to turn out the military, as well as the police force. It was but a short time before nearly the entire day police force in the city proper reported for duty at the Second station, with a delegation of some thirty from South-Boston. This force was sent to Dock Square as fast as assembled, but the mob had separated, departing in different directions. The Mayor, Chief of Police, and Deputy Chief, were early at the scene of the riot, promptly and efficiently directing the movements of the police, and giving directions for the posting of the military.

The Light Dragoons were early on duty, and were placed as a patrol force in the neighbor. hood of the Cooper street Armory, in Haymarket [438] Square, at Faneuil Hall, and other points where there were any gatherings or probability of a riot. The force from the forts was placed in and around Faneuil Hall, to be used as required, with two field-pieces loaded in the square. The cavalry from Readville was posted as a support to these guns. The lancers were at their Armory in Sudbury street, ready at any moment on call.

When the rumor of the acts of the mob became known, the streets in the vicinity of Dock Square, Faneuil Hall and Haymarket Square, were soon thronged with people, to see or hear what was going on. The police force immediately cleared the squares, and the people were directed to go to their homes. At a late hour the police occupied Dock Square, allowing no one to pass except to go to their homes, when the entrance to Faneuil Hall Square was rigidly held under military rule.

The alarm of fire soon after one o'clock this morning was caused by an attempt to set fire to the Armory in Cooper street, during the absence of the guard. The fire was extinguished with but little injury.

Proclamation by Mayor Lincoln.

To the Citizens of Boston:
The peace and good order of this city have been violated by an assembly of rioters and evildisposed persons, and still further violence is threatened. I therefore deem it my duty to ask the aid of all good citizens in suppressing any tumultuous assemblages that may be gathered, and in bringing to condign punishment all violators of law and good order; and I also deem it my duty to notify and warn all persons who have been or shall be engaged in making depredations upon property, in assaulting individuals, or in any way disturbing the public peace, that full preparation has been made for any exigency their conduct shall create.

The good order and quiet of the city shall be preserved at all hazards, and those who riotously attempt them shall be brought to punishment, whatever vigor may be necessary to these ends. That innocent parties may not suffer with the guilty, all persons whose duty does not call them into proximity are requested to keep away from them; and all parents and guardians are earnestly desired to see that the minors under their control are not in the streets after sunset.

F. W. Lincoln, Jr., mayor. City Hall, Boston, July 15.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
July 15th, 1863 AD (2)
July 15th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: