previous next


Lieutenant-Colonel C. Carroll Tevis is the commander of the infantry, and will be obeyed accordingly.

E. D. Keyes, Major-General.

The troops were all embarked according to orders, on the Gemsbok and transport, and started up the York River at seven o'clock on the evening of Thursday, the fourth of June. The gunboat Commodore Jones, Lieutenant Commander J. G. Mitchell, led the way, followed by the Commodore Morris and the Smith Briggs, Captain Lee. The latter is an army boat, mounting four guns — the boat that proved so serviceable in running the blockade on the Nansemond River. The flotilla reached West-Point about ten o'clock in the evening, and then proceeded to Walkerstown, via the Mattapony River, reaching the latter place about three o'clock in the morning.

About half-past 4, the troops were put in motion for Aylett's warehouse, about ten miles from the point of landing, and forty-five miles from the mouth of the river. The shoal water prevented the boats from going further up the river. The Fourth Delaware and the One Hundred and Sixty-eighth New-York led the way. As the White House was but ten miles distant, and knowing there was a large force of rebels there, the three points of intersection of the Dunkirk and King William Court-House roads were left in charge of detachments of the One Hundred and Sixty-eighth New-York, in order to prevent the main body from being cut off.

Small skirmishing parties of rebel infantry and cavalry attacked our men in front and in the rear, but were repulsed, with some loss in wounded and prisoners. A large number sought shelter in the swamps and dense woods, whither it was of no special benefit for us to pursue them, for time was valuable, and the expedition rested mainly in accomplishing the destruction of certain property before the enemy could bring his larger forces against us.

At Aylett's the iron foundery, machine-shops, cotton-mills, lumber-yard, and four government warehouses, containing large quantities of corn and grain, were burned; also a large mill, owned by Colonel Aylett, of the rebel army, with six thousand bushels of grain. The Colonel made his escape, although in the vicinity. The surgeon of the Fourth Delaware, I understand, captured his horse, which was nicely saddled and bridled. A great number of barns, containing stores for the rebels, such as grain, corn, whisky, cotton goods, etc., were destroyed. The amount of loss to the enemy in this way, if estimated by dollars, cannot fall short of one hundred or one hundred and twenty thousand dollars. A large number of horned cattle and about one hundred and fifty horses and mules, collected for the Richmond market, were brought down to the boats, but our limited space prevented us from taking them all. Only a portion of the horses were brought away. The contrabands, women and children, proved an immense nuisance. They followed the column, and we had to find transportation for them, to the exclusion of horses and cattle, that are really needed for the service.

General Picket's rebel division of eight thou. sand men was at Newton, ten miles from A<*>lette. He had also a strong outpost within three miles of that place; but the panic was so great in the country through which we passed that there was no serious attack on our forces. It was not credited that two hundred men would have ventured so far into the enemy's lines without any support.

Our own loss during the skirmishing was one killed and three wounded, one of the latter by the accidental discharge of his own piece, fracturing his left arm, which it may be necessary to amputate. His name is W. H. Dickerson, of the Fourth Delaware. I could not ascertain the name of the unfortunate killed. The two other wounded will get along very well, they having escaped very serious injury. Our men derived some satisfaction when they saw the effect their fire was producing. I allude to the number of secesh saddles that were emptied.

The negroes served as faithful guides, and furnished us with all the particulars we required of the male population. I omitted to mention that Captain L. H. Howard, of General Keyes's staff, accompanied us, and while ashore learned that an attempt was being made to blockade the river at a very narrow point, by felling trees about ten miles below where we were lying. The Smith Briggs immediately went down, but the report appears to have been unfounded.

During our return, we shelled the woods thoroughly. Certain portions of the banks were lined with sharp-shooters, but their spiteful, whistling shot fell harmlessly against the plating of our boats. The spattering caused more than ordinary amusement. One lone Boston Abolitionist appeared to be uneasy; but I believe scariness is a marked trait in the animal.

A prisoner in our hands, formerly of the Forty-second Virginia infantry, boasted that Stuart would be in Maryland and Pennsylvania before we had any idea, and that he would lay every thing waste. He was going prepared to fight and destroy — in fact, would spare nothing. He is very anxious to destroy the counties of Maryland bordering to the northward, which he is pleased to call “abolition-holes.”

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Aylett (3)
E. D. Keyes (2)
C. Carroll Tevis (1)
J. E. B. Stuart (1)
Picket (1)
John G. Mitchell (1)
James A. Lee (1)
L. H. Howard (1)
W. H. Dickerson (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
June 4th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: