previous next
[21] Returning to the Richmond, the welcome signal-guns were heard from the Hartford, whose masts were plainly visible from the “crow's nest.” They were quickly answered by Captain Alden, and in a few minutes the expedition started. Beside the above-mentioned officers, Mr. Shaw, Acting Master of the Richmond, and Mr. Gabandau, Private Secretary to Admiral Farragut, who came down a week ago, and returned to the Richmond from New-Orleans, put in here to accompany us over. Also Mr. Graves, Purser's Clerk of the Albatross, accompanied the expedition. A negro was taken along as a guide. The party was well armed, and started about noon.

They struck the woods some two miles below the river, embarked in two skiffs, and for five miles proceeded through the woods, overflowed with water to a depth ranging from three to thirty feet. It was a novel scene. Silently they paddled through the forest — the only noises heard were the voices of numberless birds and the low rustling of the leaves. Arriving near the False River, the boats were hid in the bushes, and the party waded waist-deep through the water a mile further in, where they struck the old State Levee, following which for a short distance, they came out into the open road in full sight of the enemy's batteries, which were no longer to be feared, for right ahead was the welcome sight of the flag-ship.

The Albatross, Captain Hart, came quickly down and took us on board. While waiting for her to reach us, the enemy fired a few shells at the party, which went harmlessly over. In a few moments we were alongside the Admiral's ship, who gave us a most cordial welcome. The officers vied with each other in making us comfortable, and eagerly asked numberless questions about the news below.

After a good night's rest, the party, decreased by the officers belonging above, early the next morning started to return, which was a much more dangerous matter than going, for the enemy having divined our intentions, had, during the night, sent a small force over, evidently with the intention of “gobbling” the party; but we struck a different road from the one we came on, and reached our boats in safety, having encountered but one of the enemy's pickets, who was mounted, and quickly fled on our firing at him. We got back to the Richmond at noon, having thus in twenty-four hours accomplished an object full of importance and danger, and one which Yankee pluck and perseverance alone could accomplish.

The Admiral is well, and has seen considerable service since passing the port. He reports heavy batteries erected at Grand Gulf, which fired on him in going up and coming down. There are batteries also at Warrenton, just below Vicksburgh. The ram Switzerland is with him. He is now blockading the mouth of Red River, down which a large amount of the enemy's supplies come. He reports that the rebels have only four days provisions at Port Hudson, and is of opinion that there are not more than fifteen thousand troops there, and that if invested it must fall in a week's time at most.--New Orleans Era.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Robert Gould Shaw (1)
Hart (1)
Graves (1)
Gabandau (1)
Farragut (1)
Alden (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: