Report of L. D. McKissick.
Memphis, June 3, 1862.I telegraphed General Villepigue to-day, asking him if he could hold Fort Pillow three days, until we could get telegraph wire and instruments down. Just received following reply: Will endeavor to do so, but fear disaster; have sent off all ma troops. Cavalhy  from above have not arrived as ordered. A great number of desertions; and the enemy captured 4 men this morning, and of course know everything.