a part of the system of instruction.
The recommendation was adopted by the War Department, and the manual was officially printed.
It forms a small duodecimo volume of about a hundred pages, with a number of plates in outline.
In June, 1851, Captain McClellan
was ordered to Fort Delaware
, as assistant to Major John Sanders
in the construction of the works there.
Here he remained till near the close of the ensuing winter.
Early in March, 1852, Captain Randolph B. Marcy
, of the Fifth Infantry, was .directed by the War Department to make an exploration of the country embraced within the basin of the Upper Red River; and Captain McClellan
was assigned to duty with the expedition.
The other officers accompanying it were Lieutenant Updegraff
and Dr. Shumard
. Captain J. H. Strain
, of Fort Washita
, and Mr. J. R. Suydam
, were also with it, but not in any official capacity.
The private soldiers were fifty-five in number.
There were also five Indians
, serving as guides and hunters.
Up to this time the region round the head-waters of the led River had been unexplored by civilized man; and the only information we had as to the sources of one of the largest rivers in the United States
was derived from Indians and semi-civilized Indian hunters.
The expedition started from Fort Belknap
, upon the Brazos River
, on the 2d of May, and marched to Red River
at the mouth of the Little Witchita, and up the right bank of the latter stream to the mouth of the Big Witchita, where they crossed Red River
Proceeding westward, between Red River