previous next


Eighty-First New York Infantry.

Marston's Brigade — Brooks's Division--Eighteenth Corps.

(1) Col. Edwin rose, W. P. (3) Col. John B. Raulston.
(2) Col. Jacob J. Deforest. (4) Col. David B. White; Bvt. Brig.-Gen.

Losses. Officers. En. Men. Total.
Killed and mortally wounded 13 129 142
Died of disease, accidents, etc. 1 96 97
Totals 14 225 239

Battles. Killed. Wounded.1 Missing.2 Total.
Fair Oaks, Va. 25 92 20 137
Seven Days Battle, Va.   1 1 2
Swift Creek, Va. 1 4   5
Drewry's Bluff, Va. 2 17 4 23
Cold Harbor, Va. 46 159 10 215
Siege of Petersburg, Va. 11 32   43
Chaffin's Farm, Va. 9 50   59
Darbytown Road, Va., Oct. 27, 1864   3   3
Picket, and Skirmishes 4 26 1 31
Totals 98 384 36 518

Present, also, at Siege of Yorktown, Va.; Williamsburg, Va.; Malvern Hill, Va.; Winston, N. C.; Free Bridge, N. C.; Williamston, N. C. Dismal Swamp, Va.: Proctor's Creek, Va.; Bermuda Hundred, Va.; Fall of Richmond.

notes.--Recruited principally at Oswego, in the fall of 1861. It left Oswego January 20, 1862, with 750 men, and at Albany received 250 more, who had been recruited in Oneida county. It left the State in February, 1862, and upon its arrival at Washington was assigned to Palmer's Brigade, Casey's Division, Fourth Corps. The regiment fought well at Fair Oaks, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel DeForest, who was wounded, and Major McAmbly, who was killed there. Upon the withdrawal of the Army from the Peninsula, the Eighty-first was retained at Yorktown with General Keyes's command. In December, 1862, the regiment was ordered to join General Foster's troops in North Carolina, where it remained on duty in the vicinity of Beaufort, S. C., and Morehead, N. C., for several months. In November, 1863, it was stationed on outpost duty along the Dismal Swamp Canal, Va.

Having reenlisted, the regiment went home on a thirty days furlough, in March, 1864, and recruited its ranks preparatory to the spring campaign. It returned to Yorktown where it was ordered to join the Eighteenth Corps, General Wm. F. Smith commanding, and was placed in Marston's (1st) Brigade, Brooks's (1st) Division. Under Lieutenant-Colonel Raulston, the Eighty-first distinguished itself in the assault on Cold Harbor, where it led the brigade in the charge, but with a loss of half its number. In this battle it sustained the heaviest loss of any infantry regiment on the field. Larger losses occurred in some of the heavy artillery regiments engaged there, but they had three times as many men in line.

In July, 1864, General Stannard succeeded to the command of the First Division and led it in its victorious assault on Fort Harrison (Chaffin's Farm). Upon the discontinuance of the Eighteenth Corps the regiment was transferred to Ripley's Brigade, Devens's Division of the newly-formed Twenty-fourth Corps. Colonel Raulston commanded the brigade at the battle on the Darbytown Road and, also, at other times and places The regiment was mustered out August 31, 1865.

1 Includes the mortally wounded.

2 Includes the captured.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: