as rapidly as possible; the rest, including heavy guns, to be destroyed. There was, at this time, a large quantity of corn, probably twenty-five or thirty thousand bushels, on boats, much of which might have been brought in had it been possible to furnish the necessary wagons. The boats were sent up the river. Two companies were directed to remain at Snyder's Mills, making a show of force until the approach of the enemy by land should compel them to retire. To them was intrusted the duty of forwarding all stores possible, and of destroying the remainder. This detachment rejoined its command in Vicksburg on the morning of the 18th. Every precaution was taken to guard the important approaches to the city by Forney's and Smith's divisions, while the troops which had been engaged in the battles of the 16th and 17th were bivouacked in the rear of the intrenchments. During these battles the troops of Major-General Forney's division were disposed as follows: Brigadier-General Hebert's brigade occupied the line along the Yazoo River, from Haines's Bluff to the Mississippi, including the approaches by Chickasaw Bayou; Brigadier-General Moore's brigade, with the Mississippi State troops, under General Harris, attached (about six hundred), guarded the front at Warrenton and the approaches from the lower ferries on the Big Black River; Brigadier-General Shoupe's brigade of Major-General Smith's division guarded the river-front of the city. Brigadier-General Baldwin's brigade, with Waul's Legion attached, guarded the approaches to the city from the Hall's Ferry road around to the railroad-bridge on the Big Black; the heavy artillery at the batteries on the river-front, under Colonel Higgins. Brigadier-General Moore's brigade was drawn in at once from Warrenton, and placed in the intrenchments on either side of Baldwin's Ferry road. Brigadier-General Hebert's brigade arrived before daylight on the 18th, bringing with it all the light pieces, and, in addition, two twenty-pound Parrotts and a Whitworth gun. This brigade immediately occupied the intrenchments on both sides of the Jackson road.
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Consolidated Summaries in the armies of Tennessee and Mississippi during the campaign commencing May 7 , 1864 , at Dalton, Georgia , and ending after the engagement with the enemy at Jonesboroa and the evacuation at Atlanta , furnished for the information of General Joseph E. Johnston
Memoranda of the operations of my corps, while under the command of General J. E. Johnston , in the Dalton and Atlanta , and North Carolina campaigns.
Report of Hon. L. T. Wigfall in the Senate of the Confederate States , march 18 , 1865 .
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.