previous next

A heroine.

June 10.--A short time since, Mr. Harry Robins, from Illinois, settled with his family in York county, near York River, Va. A few weeks since he was waited upon by a company of secessionists, and accused of entertaining views friendly to the Union.

After heaping insults upon him, and threatening him with violence, the rebels quitted the place: For two days, however, parties were seen lurking about the place, and at last Mr. Robins, not feeling safe, managed to make his escape to Fortress Monroe, and claimed protection from Gen. Butler, which was cordially granted.

On the day of the engagement at Bethel, Mr. Robins took his place in the ranks, acted as a guide, and did the duty of a soldier on the field in the thickest of the fight on that occasion, hoping, as he said, “We might be able to get far enough up into the country to enable him to get his family;” but he was doomed to be disappointed, as the retreat cut off all hopes of accomplishing his object.

On the night of the 11th inst., Mrs. Robins, finding her house was still watched, and that Col. Magruder, at Yorktown, had offered a thousand dollars reward for her husband, dead or alive, and that it was the intention of the rebels to take her and her three little children to Yorktown and incarcerate them in the jail, fled from the house. For two nights she slept under a bridge, and on the second night, about two o'clock in the morning, while her children lay under the bridge asleep, she sallied out and succeeded in finding a small boat, into which she put her three children, and, with the aid of her little boy, only twelve years of age, succeeded in rowing across the York river, a distance of three-fourths of a mile, against a strong current.

On landing, she made her way to the house of a Mr. Phillips, whom she found to be the rankest kind of a secessionist. Knowing her company, she was suddenly taken with an implacable hatred to the Northern Yankees, and finally left her warm secession friends without being suspected.

She then made her way through the woods, a distance of some seven miles to Fortress Monroe, and laying down on the sand on the beach, with her children, she slept until daylight, and then reported herself to Gen. Butler.

In passing through the woods, she had to take one of her little children and carry it on a piece, and lay it down, and then go back for the other — the little boy keeping watch over the little one while his mother went ahead with the other.

Mrs. Robins reports that there are about thirty thousand men between Yorktown and Big Bethel; that several companies had come down from Richmond to assist the rebels in case of another attack upon Big Bethel.

Her statement about the number of the troops between Yorktown and Big Bethel is also corroborated by the flag of truce which was sent out by Col. Duryea to look after the dead and wounded which were [149] left behind, at the time of the retreat.--N. Y. Express, June 19.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Harry Robins (5)
Benjamin F. Butler (2)
Phillips (1)
Magruder (1)
Duryea (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
June 19th (1)
June 10th (1)
11th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: